What you need to know
- Leadership continues to monitor more complex, critical issues that are outstanding, ensuring that the project team is resourcing and tracking towards resolution.
- If a ticket requires escalation, contact your local support center (JSUMC: 732-897-3974; OMC: 732-840-5100; SOMC: 609-978-3340). They will alert the command center.
Today’s Go Live Reminders
Performing Medication Reconciliation in the Cath Lab
Obtaining the list of home medications for patients can be completed more expeditiously by pulling medications through SureScripts or Care Everywhere.
The “Go Reconcile” function is covered in these Knowledge Builders:
- Invasive Nurse Pre-Procedure Medication Reconciliation
- Non-Invasive Nurse Pre-Procedure Medication Reconciliation
- Provider Pre-Procedure Medication Reconciliation
Scheduling Endo for Observation Patients
Patients with an admission status of “OBSERVATION” are sometimes scheduled for a procedure in the endoscopy unit.
Review the OpTime: Scheduling Endo for Observation Patients Knowledge Builder for specific instructions.
EKG Orders must to be placed in Epic by the provider. Without an order in Epic, users may experience a delay in seeing the result post to Epic.
Printing AVS for IR Procedures Without Medication Reconciliation (SOMC Hybrid Lab Only)
As of Saturday, October 19, for Interventional Radiology (IR) procedures performed in the Hybrid Labs, nurses may print the After Visit Summary (AVS) on patients without a full medication reconciliation completed by the radiologist.
Any recorded home medications on the patient will print on the AVS under the Medication List and will advise the patient to ask his/her doctor about those medications.
Cardiac Cath cases performed in these locations are not affected by this change and the full medication reconciliation will be required.
Case Request Orders
The case request orders workflow will allow a provider to request an add-on or off hours case. Examples of this include ECT or patient admissions with a GI add on, such as colonoscopy and EGD.
Review the OpTime: Add-On Case Request Order for ECT and Endo Procedures Knowledge Builder for specific instructions.
R2/R3 Discharge Process Workflow
Residents that are R2 and above have the ability to discharge patients as well as e-prescribe medications. If they choose to e-prescribe a medication, the system will require them to change the authorizing provider and include the authorizing provider as the second signer. The order will route to the second signer’s InBasket where he/she will review the order and sign off. Upon signing, the order will be transmitted through SureScripts to the pharmacy of record.
Review the R2/R3 Discharge Process Workflow Knowledge Builder for specific instructions.
When HMH billing providers are seeing patients in an Inpatient setting, they now have to select a level of service (LOS) after signing notes. This workflow also applies to assistant surgeons, co-surgeons and consults in the emergency department. This workflow EXCLUDES outpatient procedures in CAS/OR and Emergency Providers.
Review the Application: Provider Note Level of Service for specific instructions.
Managing Your InBasket
In order to provide the best patient care and provider efficiency, you will need to check your InBasket at least once a day. The InBasket is the center for all your working and worked items as well as communications from colleagues, lab, and clerical staff. Everything comes through your InBasket including dictation for review, radiology results, lab results, prescription requests from clinical staff, CDI queries from HIM, and encounters for you to review and approve.
If you would like additional providers in your group to review results of if you are going to be out of office, you can assign delegates through InBasket to allow more Providers to see your communications.
Review the Top Efficiency Tips Quick Start Guide for detailed instruction and more information.
Top Open Issues
JSUMC/OMC/SOMC: General slowness in Image Retrieval
- JSUMC/OMC/SOMC: Results for Echos failing intermittently
- JSUMC/OMC/SOMC: High volume of EKGs unposted due to missing orders
- JSUMC: ED Preference Lists to be updated to include radiology panels vs. simple procedure orders
- JSUMC: Residents cannot assign care team members
Key Resolved Issues in Past 24 Hours
- JSUMC/OMC/SOMC: Endo Transfer Workflow
- JSUMC/OMC/SOMC: Interventional Cardiologists cannot see MAR
- OMC/SOMC: ED Preference Lists to be updated to include radiology panels vs simple procedure orders
- JSUMC: Scheduled appointments at HOPE Tower have unsigned orders
- JSUMC: Standardized equipment deployed in ED
- SOMC: Medication reconciliation requirement in hybrid lab
- Ambulatory: Low chart closure rate
- All providers must complete Epic Training and demonstrate proficiency to receive Epic access.
- Contact Epic Education at (732) 897-2547 with any training question.
- Reference Epic’s Learning Home Dashboard for the most up-to-date location for training materials, such as click-by-click guides and knowledge builders. Look for the Learning Home Dashboard tab located in the upper left corner of the Epic workspace.
SET UP YOUR LEARNING HOME DASHBOARD
The Learning Home Dashboard is your one stop shop for Knowledge Builders and other reference material. Be sure to set up your Learning Home Dashboard from within Hyperspace.
- Select the Dashboard Launcher tab
- Use the Plus (+) sign in the left sidebar to search for the Learning Home Dashboard that matches your role
- Select Set as Default
The following flash alerts have been issued since go live on October 13. Visit the Epic Resource Center Wave 3 Go Live page for these and other go live communications.
Flash Alerts Issued During Go Live:
- Printing AVS For IR Procedures in Hybrid Labs Without Medication Reconciliation
- Log Out Button has Been Removed
- Service Request Order Mode
- Selecting the Correct Orders for MRSA Screen
- Add a Column For New Consults to Patient Lists
- Completing Discharge Process
- Ordering Blood Products
- Ordering Glucose Fingerstick
- Managing Your InBasket and Assigning Delegates
- Completing Dictation for Pre- and Post-Epic Encounters
Following are all new Knowledge Builders published since go live. View these and other educational materials on your Epic Learning Home Dashboard.
Knowledge Builder Issued During Go Live
- OpTime: Add-On Case Request Order for ECT and Endo Procedures
- R2/R3 Discharge Process Workflow
- ASAP: ED to L&D SOMC
- ASAP: ED to L&D OMC
- ASAP: OCC Admit Orders
- Add a Column for New Consults to Patient Lists
- Cupid: Cath/EP Cardiologist Workflow
- Anesthesia: 48 Hour Post-Op Follow-Up Workflow
- OpTime: Blood/Blood Product Ordering for Periop Areas
- Orders: Ordering Imaging with Contrast by Order Panel
Educational materials can only be accessed in your Epic Learning Home Dashboard or when you’re connected to Hackensack Meridian Health’s network.