What you need to know
- Overall, we are seeing a slight reduction in daily call volume as issues are transitioning from access and security to more complex workflow issues.
- Leadership continues to monitor more complex, critical issues that are outstanding, ensuring that the project team is resourcing and tracking towards resolution.
- If a ticket requires escalation, contact your local support center (JSUMC: 732-897-3974; OMC: 732-840-5100; SOMC: 609-978-3340). They will alert the command center.
Today’s Go Live Reminders
Log out Button has Been Removed
The log out button in Epic has been removed. All physicians should remember to badge out using Tap and Go whenever leaving a work station.
Add a Column for New Consults to Patient Lists
Providers may now add a column to their Patient List. This will allow you to identify patients with a new consult in your specialty.
Review the Add a Column for New Consults to Patient Lists Knowledge Builder for specific instructions.
Medication Reconciliation Triggers
Medication Reconciliation is required at admission, discharge and level of care changes (i.e. when transferring from ICU to a medical floor). There are different navigators that have been configured to assist with the medication reconciliation process. These can be found in the Admission, Pre-Transfer and Discharge navigators.
Discharge medication reconciliation is required before the After Visit Summary can be printed for the patient.
Refer to the Medication Reconciliation Quick Start Guide for more information.
Using Order Panels for Imaging and Contrasting
For one-click ordering, panels have been designed for radiology orders requiring contrast. It is important to understand that these order panels have facility-specific contrast orders associated with the radiology studies. Please keep these facility-specific contrast medications in mind when ordering.
If adding these order panels to your preferences, ensure you’ve updated your “Personalized Name” to include the name of the facility the order panel is associated with.
Review the Orders: Ordering Imaging with Contrast by Order Panel Knowledge Builder for more information.
Ordering Blood Products
Use the Blood Product Ordering and Transfusion Order Set for blood bank testing. The Order Set includes the Type and Screen order by default, which replaces the Group and Rh order used in Soarian.
Review the Blood Products Ordering Knowledge Builder for more information.
Managing Your InBasket
In order to provide the best patient care and provider efficiency, you will need to check your InBasket at least once a day. The InBasket is the center for all your working and worked items as well as communications from colleagues, lab, and clerical staff. Everything comes through your InBasket including dictation for review, radiology results, lab results, prescription requests from clinical staff, CDI queries from HIM, and encounters for you to review and approve.
If you would like additional providers in your group to review results of if you are going to be out of office, you can assign delegates through InBasket to allow more Providers to see your communications.
Review the Top Efficiency Tips Quick Start Guide for detailed instruction and more information.
New HMH Provider Numbers
With the Epic go live on October 13, most providers who are new Epic users at HMH have a new, 6-digit HMH Provider Number to use for dictation and telephone orders.
If you do not know your new HMH Provider Number, please contact your local Medical Staff Office:
- Jersey Shore University Medical Center: (732) 776-4689
- Ocean Medical Center: (732) 836-4345
- Southern Ocean Medical Center: (609) 978-8912
Providers may also contact the Help Desk at (848) 237-3333 or ext. 3333 internally to retrieve their new numbers.
Providers who are current Epic users at HMH facilities should use their existing HMH Provider Number.
New Facility Codes For Dictation
Note that the two-digit facility codes used for dictation will change with the Epic Go Live.
- Jersey Shore University Medical Center: 20
- Ocean Medical Center: 30
- Southern Ocean Medical Center: 60
Top Open Issues
- JSUMC/OMC/SOMC: Allergy review workflow does not enforce a hard stop
- JSUMC/OMC/SOMC: Cath Lab InBasket messages are being retracted upon report dictation, limiting provider’s ability to sign report
- JSUMC/OMC/SOMC: IR Workflow concerns
- JSUMC: Corrections requested to ED preference list build
- JSUMC: Residents cannot assign care team members
- JSUMC: Cath Lab Workflow concerns
- JSUMC: Preference Lists include orders that are for reference labs vs. site labs
Key Resolved Issues in Past 24 Hours
- JSUMC/OMC/SOMC: Flag added to provider patient list to identify new consults
- JSUMC/OMC/SOMC: OCC Lab ordering workflow
- JSUMC/OMC/SOMC: Hospitalists/ED Provider Access to ePrescribe
- JSUMC: AHOA Workflow Concerns – added additional floor support
- JSUMC: Tap and Go devices do not log you all way into Epic in ED
- OMC: Hybrid Lab/IR schedule rebuild
- All providers must complete Epic Training and demonstrate proficiency to receive Epic access.
- Contact Epic Education at (732) 897-2547 with any training question.
- Reference Epic’s Learning Home Dashboard for the most up-to-date location for training materials, such as click-by-click guides and knowledge builders. Look for the Learning Home Dashboard tab located in the upper left corner of the Epic workspace.
Set Up Your Learning Home Dashboard
The Learning Home Dashboard is your one stop shop for Knowledge Builders and other reference material. Be sure to set up your Learning Home Dashboard from within Hyperspace.
- Select the Dashboard Launcher tab
- Use the Plus (+) sign in the left sidebar to search for the Learning Home Dashboard that matches your role
- Select Set as Default
The following flash alerts have been issued since go live on October 13. Visit the Epic Resource Center Wave 3 Go Live page for these and other go live communications.
- Held Orders in Soarian
- Ordering Blood Products
- Ordering Glucose Fingerstick
- Managing Your InBasket and Assigning Delegates
- Completing Dictation for Pre- and Post-Epic Encounters
Following are all new Knowledge Builders published since go live. View these and other educational materials on your Epic Learning Home Dashboard.
- Add a Column for New Consults to Patient Lists
- Cupid: Cath/EP Cardiologist Workflow
- Cupid: Nursing Event Documentation at End of Cardiology Procedure
- Cupid: Update Service on case Request to EP When Creating EP Cases
- Anesthesia: 48 Hour Post-Op Follow-Up Workflow
- OpTime: Outpatients to Prep and Discharge Unit (Ackerman 1)
- OpTime: PreOp Patients – EP, Cath Lab and IR
- OpTime: Blood/Blood Product Ordering for Periop Areas