OpenNotes will launch in 2021
Due to the second wave of COVID-19, Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is delaying the launch of OpenNotes. OpenNotes will not launch on December 15, 2020. In January 2021, we will provide a new date for launch which will occur sometime before April 6, 2021.
Epic is currently defaulted to hold notes. You can select to share your notes if you choose. Many of HMH physicians do this today to help facilitate communication between their patients and their families. We encourage you to use this feature if you believe it will help you and your patient.
HMH remains committed to OpenNotes and looks forward to launching in 2021. OpenNotes is a national initiative to make provider notes available to patients through MyChart. This resource page provides you with helpful information and resources related to OpenNotes.
Why We Are Launching OpenNotes
- It’s the right thing to do for our patients. 99% of patients felt the same or better about their doctor after reading notes. Up to 87% of patients say it helps them feel more in control of their care and 85% of patients would select a provider based on their use of OpenNotes.
- We become competitive with other local, regional and national health care providers who offer notes through MyChart.
- High performing organizations already are meeting this standard.
- It provides access. Providing patients unrestricted electronic access to specified contents of their record upon their request is now required under the 21st Century Cures Act of 2016.
How You and Your Patients Will Benefit From OpenNotes*
More than 50 million patients already have access to OpenNotes at 50 health systems across the U.S., including our competitors.
Patients will have access to notes from all providers, including:
- Advanced practice providers
- Medical assistants
- New England Journal of Medicine
- Delbanco, Journal of Medical Internet Research 2012
- Bell, BMJ Quality & Safety 2017
- DesRoches, JAMA Netw Open 2020
- Sigall, JAMA Netw Open 2020
- Leveille, JGIM 2020
- Walker, BMJ, 2015
- Salmi et al., Open Notes in Oncology: Patient versus Oncology Clinician Views, Cancer Cell (2020)